07 March, 2007

Is Hillary the next feminist icon?


According to Wikipedia, "Rosie the Riveter is a cultural icon of the United States, representing the six million women who worked in the manufacturing plants which produced munitions and material during World War II while the men (who traditionally performed this work) were off fighting the war. This "character" is now considered a feminist icon in the US, and a herald of women's economic power to come. Rosie and her slogan were featured on newspapers, magazines and posters. Many people think that there was no real person who could be called "Rosie the Riveter". A real "Rosie the Riveter" was named Rose Monroe. The posters were made before she was discovered. She died at age 77."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_the_Riveter

After watching Hillary Clinton on C-Span today, my opinion of her grew even greater. I thought, "this is a woman who wants to stop the chaos and make America the way it once was.

She first wants to enforce the Equal Pay Act. She wants ALL women (Black, White, Latina...) to make the same salary men make for doing the same exact job. White women now are only making 70 cents of the one dollar men are making. Black women and Latinas are making even less.

Then she wants to get more American women involved in supporting EMILY's List. "EMILY's List, the nation's largest grassroots political network, is dedicated to building a progressive America by electing pro-choice Democratic women to federal, state, and local office."

She wants Healthcare issues in the United States taken care of so children can get proper exams and women can too.

And last but not at all least, Hillary wants to end the war.

She was inspired to run for president when she heard the words, "Dare to compete...Dare to compete." Well she is daring to compete, and in my opinion, anyone who is against stopping this war should maybe go over there to fight, maybe kill an innocent civilian....then see how you feel. How can you kill so many innocent civilians and call yourself a true American?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe Hillay is the best candidate for president. Granted I am a male, but I believe everyone deserves equal rights. I mean all of the Holy Rollers following Bush saying that he is a godly man is ridiculous. How can they follow Bush and be Christian. Not to get on a religious rampage, but Bush is off killing innocent people in Iraq. Last time I read the Bible "Christians" didn't kill people at all especially not innocent ones. And equal rights don't get me started. Men and women are equal. I mean come on...if you think women shouldn't be getting paid as much as men go live in the Middle East. Trust me there are more intelligent women out there than some of the men I know. For example look at my girlfriend who is way smarter than me, my mom, and my girlfriend's mother. We are all equal. I think it would do this nation good to have a woman as President. I mean every guy we had in there so far hasn't done exactly a bang up job. I think its time we put the country in the hands of a woman. I mean our nation is pretty much at its worst, so I peronsally am sick and tired of this constant downfall. We need someone else than a Republican looking out for his own bank account.